The Town of North Hempstead occupies the northwest part of the county.
The area was first settled by Europeans around 1643 and became part of the town of Hempstead. Following the Revolutionary war, the Town of North Hempstead was split off in 1784.
North Hempstead became more affluent with the opening of the Long Island Rail Road through to Great Neck, and the inauguration of steamboat service from Manhattan in 1836.
The town of North Hempstead is made up of 30 incorporated villages that claimed the right to set zoning restrictions to protect their rights and resources.